Do you have experience of high voltage (11 kV) electrical distribution system projects?
Have you worked on decommissioning or repurposing HV systems?
Would you like to be part of the UK's drive towards our low carbon energy future?
Join the Electrical Engineering team at the UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) where they are working with research partners and industry around the globe to realise the enormous potential of fusion for generating low-carbon electricity. Increasing demand for energy, concerns over climate change and limited supplies of fossil fuels mean we need to find new, cleaner ways to power the planet. Fusion - the process that drives the Sun - could offer a virtually limitless supply of energy if mastered on Earth. Bringing it to the electricity grid is one of the toughest challenges in science, but potentially one of the most rewarding.
You will provide technical and project leadership on large site electrical infrastructure projects, providing specialist technical knowledge and direction to deliver new and upgraded 11kV and 36kV HV distribution systems. You'll propose, define, manage and deliver major enhancement projects to support the development of campus, supply future fusion devices and applications of related technology. Your technical expertise in HV electrical engineering, will be used to work with the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) and National Grid, and you will advise on technical solutions, designs and/or critical plant operational issues.
Your day to day tasks will include:
*Appointed as Lead Project Engineer for large site electrical infrastructure projects
* Review project proposals and plans to develop project objectives
* Identify project phases and elements and steer these through an established Technical Control Process
* Establish specifiactions for projects based on performance standards, client requirements and product design
* Manage the safe, cost effective and timely delivery of large contracts with multi-disciplinary activities such as electrical distribution engineering, civil engineering and related industrial activities such as lifting.
* Responsible for ensuring timely delivery of assigned projects within specification; informing project budget holders and managers at all times. Manage all project activities and co-ordinate and deploy resources effectively. Deliver completion of project milestones and major documentation to ensure quality.
* Have sufficient technical expertise to be able to lead in setting the direction of site wide HV electrical distribution projects and able to advise for design solutions and/or critical plant operational issues.
* Competent in the application of distribution analysis using classic and numerical methods to support design studies and to contribute to campus business development and business cases.
* Use expertise and experience across a range of fields to analyse and critique engineering systems, recommending alternative design routes or courses of action where appropriate.
* Build and maintain positive relationships with internal and external parties.
* Communicate technical expertise by producing technical reports and departmental notes.
* Technical management of projects or contracts up to a total value of ~£10,000,000. No direct budget responsibility.
* A relevant electrical engineering degree or equivalent.
* Preferred Chartered Engineer status with a suitable professional institution.
* Extensive experience in project engineering and contract management of high-voltage (11 kV) electrical distribution system projects of large scale (MVA).
* Good working knowledge of electrical engineering with specialist knowledge in HV distribution power systems.
* Ability to perform exploratory electrical distribution design calculations using first principles.
* Experience in decommissioning/repurposing HV systems.
* Experience with working to design standards a